October 6, 2009

The Wisdom of Wheat

Dean had his wisdom teeth out yesterday. He is doing very well and isn't complaining at all. A bit of the chipmunk cheeks have appeared but no bruising yet. It has actually been kind of nice to have him home and to take care of him. I will admit yesterday morning it felt like I had gone from 1 to 2 children to care for. One needed his gauze changed and the other needed his diaper changed. I love my boys and its nice to feel needed!

So I wanted to make sure to rotate the ice packs for Dean every half-hour because when I had my wisdom teeth out the hot and cold packs really helped me. Incidentally, they no longer recommend applying heat because the warmth can promote infection. I swear the alternating cold and warmth prevented me from bruising or even swelling. I guess better to have some bruising and swelling than an infection. Anyway, I decided to make some of those wheat filled hot/cold packs. You can put them in the freezer or microwave them. I bought a cheap scrap of flannel material at Fabric Land and opened 2 cans of our hard red wheat from our food storage supply. I made 4 bags and I think they turned out pretty good. The temperature stays warm or cold for about an hour. However, the best part is that all 4 only cost $5 and I still have fabric left over. I think they'll last a good while too!

Here are some pictures:


1 comment:

Mandy said...

Those are great pictures. Dean looks so sad :(
Good idea for doing the wheat packs. Maybe it would make some nice Christmas gifts....