I've had swimming on my mind a lot lately. You might remember awhile back I posted about our first triathlon in July. Well the time has come to start the swim training. I think I might of waited too long to start. I have been running since January and biking since late March. I left the swimming until last because I didn't think it would be that difficult.
We went swimming last night to practice our technique. And all I can say is that I don't think I really have a technique. There was this guy in the lane next to me who definitely knew what he was doing... probably a tri-athlete. He was so quiet in the water - barely a splash or a gasp of air that I noticed. Me on the other hand, well... I'm sure the wake from my splashes spread the length of the pool and I couldn't figure out when to breath, so there was a lot of gasping going on. I only did about 10 laps in total. I would love to take a swimming class but working evenings and weekends doesn't really allow me much child free time to take lessons. So I've decided to get a book on Total Immersion swimming. It is a common swimming technique that tri-athletes use. It's kinda like the zen-of-swimming. You focus on your stroke and breathing in order to conserve your lower body strength for the bike and run. This guy in the pool last night was using the technique I'm sure. He made it look effortless. I'm just gonna have to make the time to go to the pool and practice. Maybe I'll have to drop Em off at the pool baby-sitting service for an hour every once in awhile. Anyone ever used those baby-sitting services? Are they any good?
Anyway, the swim is not going to be as easy as I thought. If I can't get my front stroke down I might be doing the breast stroke the whole way... and be the last one out of the water - hopefully still alive!
1 comment:
oh megan, you're so funny! I just really love you so much. I am probably going to be in the same boat pretty soon...lol. Maybe I can borrow the book.
Post a Comment