August 21, 2011

Potty Pains

This is a shout out to all those parents trying to get their children to use the potty. Emerson has been at it for proabably 5 months - he'll be 3 years old in November. Now before you go and judge me as his primary potty trainer. I will tell you what I have tried. I have tried the routine potty visits every 1-2 hours - didn't work he and I were in tears by the end of each day. I have tried the big boy under wear - same as a diaper in his opinon. I have also tried the bare bum method - most successful here but we run into problems when we are out of the house and have friends over to play. The one thing I have not tried is the reward method. I was hoping I wouldn't have to bribe him to go potty but I'm thinking that this is my only other option.

We talk about going potty a fair amount. I tell him if he wants to go to school and do big boy things he has to learn to pee and poo in the potty but he doesn't seem to care. In fact he rarely, if ever, will tell me that he needs his pants changed - we usually smell the evidence and then he flat out denies that there's anything in there. So the question I keep asking is: Is he ready?? Well this morning I think I got my answer.

We always go potty first thing in the morning, it's kind of a rule/routine. He usually protests but we go anyway. So this morning he must of been super hungry cause he says to me: "I'm hungry mama". So I say: "Alright lets go potty and then have breakfast". And he replies: "OK! Lets go... no wait... I do it... OK?" And before I can even pull myself out of the bed he has run to the bathroom, closed the door and locked it behind him. I proceed to hear the struggle of him trying to get his pyjama bottoms and diaper off. We can hear him muttering and humming to himself. And then to my amazment I hear the tickling of pee in the pot. Then he knocks on the door to get out because he hasn't yet figured out how to open the door he locked. I jimmy the door open and he exclaims: "I did it! I went pee!". Sure enough he did do it - all by himself!! So he's ready, right? That means he's ready, right? I just need to be more firm or diligent or whatever it is that parents are, that have 2 year olds potty trained. Right??

To be honest I'm not sure what to think - he was on a "I do it myself" kick today. While getting ready for church he had to put his tie on himself - thank goodness it was a clip-on. He had to pour the juice himself - mommy convinced him to let her help. He had to put his shoes on himself - despite the fact we were running late and didn't have 10mins to wait for him.

I guess time will tell. People keep telling me that: "boys are harder to train than girls" or "there's just a switch that goes off and one day they'll be ready". It seems like a longer process than I thought. Wish I could somehow make the switch go off somehow. For now I'm trying to keep the pressure off us both and just gently persuade. Hopefully that switch will go off soon.

1 comment:

Erica said...

I think every child is different and putting a time limit on potty training will only stress YOU out. It will all come together one day and I'm sure he won't enter high school with pullups on. That being said, I can relate to your frustration as I am trying to potty train Caitlyn right now and she was 3 in July. I feel like the more I push it the more she resists which makes me want to pull my hair out. She's pretty good but tonight pooped in her underwear and then peed standing on the on the coffee table 6 minutes later. I know it was 6 minutes because I set the timer for 15 minutes to keep track of the next time to sit her on the potty. ARGH!! Needless to say I threw the poopy training panties away rather than clean them and after the pee incident she went right into a pullup as I was trying to cook dinner at the same time. Josh wasn't day trained til 3 and night trained fully at 4 and he'll wet the bed once in a blue moon if he's in a really deep sleep. Hang in there and one day he'll surprise you!! Miss your smiling face. Hope that new house is treating you well!