July 29, 2009

Doll Stories.

So this past weekend we were up in the north country for a Doll family reunion. The reunion was at a little camp ground that used to be a small village called Friendenstal. We had such a good time. We didn't want to leave. It was Emerson's first time meeting the Doll side of the family and he loved everyone he met. Especially his Auntie Randi and Uncle Shawn.

We got to hear a lot of stories, mostly about nuns and priests, as the catholic religion runs deep in the Doll family. I was thinking today how nice it was to visit with Dean's family, especially his grandma. My grandparents have all passed away so I realize how precious the time we have with them is. I loved listening to the stories. Old people are such good story tellers and if you belong to the Doll or Fazikos family you are genetically predisposed to be a good story teller. Whenever I try to tell a story it always seems lifeless and uninteresting. Mind you the Russell genes have some good story tellers. But Dean's family-they all tell great stories. As a matter of fact they often tell the same stories over and over again. And everytime they tell a story it seems more hilarious and more interesting than the other times. Like the time Dean's dad scared him by dressing up like a big bear. Instead of shooting the bear with the pellet gun he was playing with he ran into the house and hid in the closet.

I wonder what kind of stories are we going to tell our children? I think sometimes we are so busy with our day to day life that we forget to make memories - memories that are worth telling over and over again. I think the world would be a better place if we told more stories (true or not). Why not tell a story about a trip you took, instead of a rumor you heard about so and so. Why not tell a story instead of complaining. I think true story telling is becoming a lost art. I am trying to rekindle this ability. I'm hoping the blog will help me practice. Dean is a good story teller - its in his genes. He can even make a good story out of his commute home on the train. Noisy kids, strange teenagers or cell phone calls to the person next to him. I think you all should tell more stories!

Here are a few highlights from our trip:


The catholic church that Dean`s dad attended when he was child.


Grandpa and Emerson looking at a catalog of motors.


They had a wheelbarrow race.
This is myself and Shawn (Dean`s brother).
It was our moment of defeat.


The fireworks set out waiting to be fired off.
A mere $500+ worth of fireworks.


The fireworks show was spectacular.
Dean`s dad and brother helped set them off.


Uncle Philip and Emerson.
This was after we ate some saskatoon berries on his farm.
Emerson looked like a little vampire with blood stained lips.


This is my favorite picture of the whole trip.
Grandma Debi gave Em this truck and he absolutely loved it!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Oh my heck! He is so cute.