August 6, 2009

Too Many Choices.

Do you remember when you were little and the variety of choices you had seemed much smaller. I was browsing thecutestblogontheblock.com to try and spruce up my blog and was feeling overwhelmed by all the choices. And there are a lot of cute backgrounds.

I remember looking in the cereal cupboard as a kid and having 3 choices: Rice Krispies, Shreddies, or 2 year old Grape Nut cereal (only my dad ate). Lunch was the same: kraft dinner, tomato soup and macaroni, or burnt open faced grilled cheese bread (it wasn't even real cheese, it was those processed cheese slices). Dinner had a bit of variety but we weren't given a choice to eat it or not. We sat there until we finished what was on our plate. So that negated the variety of menu.

Those who know me know that I often feel overwhelmed when there are too many choices. However I enjoy variety in lots of things. For example, I can usually only eat left overs once and then I need something new. Or I would absolutely die if I had a job that was the same thing day in and day out (like in a factory). My dad used to take us to the candy store when we were little and had a wonderful tactic to speed up our choosing process. He told us: "the first thing you touch you have to buy!". We thought he was being extreme and didn't believe he would actually make us buy whatever we touched first. After all sometimes you had to feel the candy in your hand to know if that was the right one for you. Well my dad was always strict on this tactic and regardless of how loud we hollered which ever candy we touched first was the candy we took home. Once my sister got one of those gross wax covered rocket suckers. I think that if I had someone who did that now life would be a bit more simple. "The first thing you touch in the pantry you have to make supper with." or "The first thing you put on from your closet you have to wear for the day."

Well I decided on a background for the blog but I'm not sure it is the one I want to keep. It's a little girl y. What do you think?

2 comments:

lynda said...

i actually really like the branches and bird. i would pick it ;)

Mandy said...

Don't let Amy see this background...she may never talk to you again...lol. I LOVE your new background. And let me just say, if you had to wear the first thing you touched or put on from your closet all day, you would never go out because if Emerson spit up or threw food at you, what would you do?????

I really love leftovers. I actually hope every time I go to Mom's that she has lots of leftovers because I love them.

Didn't one of us try Dad theory and touched a candy and then ended up getting something different? Maybe that was me...mmmm