January 4, 2010

Happy 20-10!

I guess this post is a little late but here it is:

Christmas this year was nice. We decided to Secret Santa someone, which was fun trying to be all sneaky
and to not get caught. It was hard deciding what to do. I really wanted to participate in the adopt a family program here in Calgary, where people or businesses gather food and gifts for families in need. But they said it costs $400-500 dollars for one basket, so not something we could of done on our own this year. I think maybe if we got a couple families together it would be fun but I wasn't that organized this year. I think next year Dean, Em and I will each pick a nice winter coat to purchase and donate it to the Mustard Seed here in Calgary. I learned that the Mustard Seed gives out winter coats to the homeless folks who come in on Christmas day. I wish I had known earlier but we had already decided to do the Secret Santa. It was fun and I realized that there are a lot of ways to serve others during the Christmas season. I guess the challenge is keeping that service spirit going through out the year.

We spent most of the holiday at home with each other or with my side of the family. Dean offered to prepared a smoked pork shoulder for Christmas dinner instead of the traditional turkey. He got a smoker for his birthday in June and has been trying recipes out here and there. It has become one of his new obsessions... at least he's good at it and it puts food on the table :) Everyone agreed that it would be OK to not have the traditional bird but I think when it came time to serve up and there were no mashed potatoes or candied yams, that my family were a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong I think they enjoyed it and Dean did a superb job! We served in on buns and had 3 or 4 different salads with it. I was surprised that the family even agreed to have pork instead of turkey. I guess it's hard to break tradition. Anyway, Dean spent over 12 hours working on the meat. He barely slept Christmas eve and not because he was putting together some ridiculous toy for Em (although I'm sure those years are coming). He was tending to his other baby... his pork baby. He has done a pork shoulder before but used a different method this time by injecting juices into it. It was so yummy! I'm just sorry we didn't have more left overs.

I hope everyone had a nice holiday and got some time to reflect on the last year and its blessings. Here are some pictures/highlights of our holidays:

Dean tending to his baby on Christmas eve.

I got a replacement of my favorite CD.
I love this sound track so much that I wore out the old one.
We went for a winter walk with the Bean's new sled on Boxing Day.
I was trying to show him how to throw snow but in the end he liked watching me throw snow better than actually doing it.
Emerson in front of the house making a funny face.
I think he has already learned to pose for the camera.
What a guy!



3 comments:

Marni & James said...

He is such a cutie Megan!

Mandy said...

What a cute picture on the sled. I know everyone was happy to have something different...at least I was. I suggested that we have roast 3 years ago and everyone was opposed but I guess you have the "breaking the traditions" touch.

Sarah said...

I love Phantom too! I actually was listening to that same CD for almost 10 years before I got to see the musical -- so now I love both! Didn't know you could wear out a CD, though. Mine always have terrible deaths due to scratching accidents or something. Cute blog template too!