January 24, 2010

Run, run, run as fast as you can...

As I'm sitting here trying to think of something clever to write I am reminded of my junior high gym classes. I don't know what your gym teachers were like? Probably really cool, right? which made gym your favorite subject. Well my gym teachers were not cool. They were pretty lazy actually. For several winter months they would have us change into our gym strip and turn on Dance Music Hits from the 90's. Then make us run the whole gym period in circles around the gymnasium. And if we stopped running they would yell at us (that was whenever they looked up from their magazine). I think this is where my great disdain for running stems. I have been doing a lot of running in the last 3 weeks and I can't say my love for it has grown.

I decided to do a triathlon. I will be turning 30 years old this year and I thought if I wait any longer to do this I may inflict serious injuries on myself. I have wanted to do a triathlon for a awhile now. I enjoy swimming and biking but running not so much. I have convinced Dean to do the triathlon with me. And no, we will not be doing the the full Olympic distance. I think I would seriously die if I did that... ok at least puke -a lot! We will be doing what they call the Sprint distance. It is a 750 m swim, 26 km bike and 5 km run. That's long enough, right? For running we are using a training plan we found called: "Couch potato to 5K". We thought it sounded perfect for us :) So far, so good. It is a gradual training over 8 weeks and the goal is to get us running for the full 5K. Of course we are doing this all on a treadmill right now and I have been warned that running on pavement is completely different. We run Monday, Wednesday and Friday -increasing the intensity every week. On the days in between we weight train to build our core strength and muscle tone. Dean is much better at this all than I am. I just throw around the kettle bell for 20 mins and barely break a sweat. Meanwhile, after Dean works out he looks like he had a shower with his cloths on! Dean is very committed. Once he sets his mind to something there is no stopping him -very determined that man. No wonder where our son gets his determination?!

We found a biking/running trail near home that is 5Km and will be a great place to do some outdoor training when the snow melts. Dean's Aunt generously gave us a bike/running stroller, so maybe the Bean will do some training with us. We haven't decided how to train for the swim yet but luckily the race is not until July, so we've got time. Any suggestions?

I'm sure my view of this triathlon is very romanticized. You know... running into the water with a swimming cap that matches my swim suit, black numbers tattooed to my toned, tanned skin. Then picking up my bike and seamlessly mounting it. Running for the full 5Kms while splashing water in my face from the water station. Then running across the finish line to a crowd of family and friends cheering for me. And being in the top 10 to finish!

In reality I will probably have an ill fitting swim suit with cellulite bulging. And I can guarantee I will not have tanned skin. In fact I will probably blind the other contestants with the whiteness of my skin. I'm sure I will be confused at one of the transition areas not knowing where to go or what to do. Hopefully, it won't be from the swim to bike and I won't get on someone else's bike and ride for 15 kms before I'm waved down. I pray I'll have energy to actually run for part of the running. And I'm sure anyone who comes to support me will tire of waiting for me, that they'll miss me crossing the finish line as the last contestant.

2 comments:

Erica said...

What an awesome goal Megan!! I love that you're doing it together as a couple. Enjoy the journey.

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh! You're turning 30!!!! Holy crap that's old...LOL haaa haa...I pray you won't get on the wrong bike too. That might be a little bit akward. Plus you might get disqualified and that would not be good. I think you guys are going to do great. I'll make sure to bring the camera for pictures so we can show Em that you and Dean did something wonderful for yourselves.