September 3, 2009

Point and shoot


Do you remember when cameras required film? You know that stuff that comes in a small round canister. Then every time you took a picture you had to advance the film to the next frame by a lever. Some of the fancy cameras did it automatically. Gone are those days, hey? Now everything is digital. Cameras are tiny now too, some are the size of a bar of soap and most cell phones have them built in now.

Well my husband and I have decided to start our own little business. As some of you might know Dean is a video editor. Part of his schooling was photography and he loves to play with the camera. For our anniversary this February he got a new digital SLR camera. So we thought we would start sharing his talent in photography with others( and make a little money cause the camera cost quite a few pennies).

We've done 3 photo sessions so far. And we are having so much fun! I have been doing some training at kelbytraining.com, it is an online training resource for photography. Dean received a free month's membership with them at one of the conferences he was at. I think we will continue on with the membership though because it is a great resource. I'm learning lots about photoshop and how to retouch your digital photos. It is actually a lot more work than I thought. However I think once I get more acquainted with photoshop I will be more efficient. Dean of course does all the quality assurance checks because he is a pro already. I'm more of the young apprentice right now :)

Our dinner table conversation is now consumed with "photo talk". As well as what name should we give our little business. Dean would like to do other things with the business in the future ie. graphic art, independent film work. So he doesn't want to have photography at the end because it might pigeon hole the business. So here are the names on the top of our list:

1. Dollhouse Images
2. North Light Images (omage to Dean's roots in nort
hern alberta)
3. Colored Memories (My favorite but Dean says "what if some of the photos are black and white?")

4. Astroid ... something or other (obviously Dean's choice... he wants something tech-ie sounding)

5. Dean Doll Images (most simple)


Let me know what you think :)

Here are a few of the photos we've been taking:




3 comments:

Mandy said...

I think you should go with Dollhouse faces. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the shoe picture!!!! AHHH. So fun! You guys did a great job!

Erica said...

Hey Megan-I jumped to your blog off Mandy's-hope you don't mind. :> I really like Dollhouse Images the best. Great pics! Love the one of Tanner!

Itworksforbobbi said...

Good for you!! I love photography - so fun to take time to see the world through a lens. And I LOVE Scott Kelby, too. Your photos are fantastic.

I'm a fan of Dollhouse Images, personally - it stands out more than the others. Good luck with your business!